Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Learning and networking in Philly

  
Landscape of Philadelphia
Philadelphia is known for brotherly love. 
  I had the privilege to attend the ACP/CMA Fall National College Media Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from October 29th until November 2nd.  The convention was held at the Marriott in downtown Philadelphia.  Students from different states attended the convention so that they could better understand the field that they were going to be graduating in. 
  The convention covered all media outlets.  The days were broken down into hour long sessions starting at 9am and running until 5pm with no breaks in between.  There were over 325 different sessions that were available for students along with advisors.  The convention had three keynote speakers along with many different professionals that have been in their field for many years.     
  There was a lot of information that was given at once and it took some time to sink in.  I am now ready to change the way that I run the Owens Outlook. 
   One of the key things that I went home with is making sure that I help every one of my staff members.  Checking in with them as they work on their articles is a great way to help.  Just assigning them an article and letting them run with it and not communicating with them is not a good way to run a paper.  I can give them some tips; like who they can go to if they have to interview someone, or if they are stuck finishing their article. I realized it is important to make sure that I am approachable, and that my co-workers understand that if they have a problem they can ask me.
  Another big concept that I learned was to be more creative.  I always feel that our paper and headlines had to look like a traditional newspaper.  Not anymore!  I am encouraging my staff to be more creative when it comes to writing there articles.  The Outlook staff consists mostly of photographers; so the potential for creativity is there.  I want to try to add some streaming videos to our website as well as some Buzz feed.   

Head staff of the Philadelphia Daily News asking the students questions.
  In one of my sessions I learned different ideas for content to be added to the website.  One of the new goals is to implement a review section.  Students, staff and faculty will be able to submit reviews on movies, books and video games.  I feel that this section will get many different viewers because it is not just hard news.  It can be fun and interesting at the same time.    The Outlook staff had the privilege to tour the Philadelphia Daily News.  We got to talk to many of the staff members along with sitting in on one of their meetings when they were trying to decide what they would put on the front page of the paper.  Afterwards the heads of the paper even asked the students what they could do to make their paper better.  I could not believe that they asked us for ideas when they were the ones that had been in their positions for years.    Since the sessions were during the day, we had time to tour Philly.  We were right in the middle of everything.  There was a fabulous market across the street that housed local venders selling food and other items.  The last day there, we walked the six blocks to visit the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.  I was personally excited because I love the movie National Treasure.  I just wanted to stand were Nicholas Cage had years ago.  It was really neat to think that I saw a very important part of history.
The original Liberty Bell. 
  The trip was well worth it and I have Owens Community College to thank for sending me there.  I have confidence that with the information that I learned, I will be better prepared for my future in photojournalism.      



A man portals Independence Hall as they get ready to close.

  

1 comment: